08 January 2009

Studying Adolescence

"So let's go around the room, introduce ourselves, and share something about our adolescence, okay?" Last night, in a nationality room of the Cathedral of Learning, a group of adults began class by reminiscing about that awkward chunk of time somewhere between the years of 8 and 18. A few had examples of acting out: "I frequently took my parents' car without their permission." and "I was a bully." Some proclaimed their sainthood: "I was a really quiet goody goody." Others discussed their activities: hair modeling, tennis, cheerleading.

Since 2005, adolescence has consumed a large portion of my brain. Memories of the late 90s, Pioneer Panthers, and Retin-A acne medicine moved aside to include my often quirky and wacky 6th grade students. So, when asked to recall a memory from adolescence, I immediately and instinctively sorted through my Southeast catalogue. I remembered the socially awkward times like B. throwing up twice on the first day of school and V.'s you know what in the middle of a lesson on prepositions. I remembered glimpses of identity and world view formation like when J.J. came out in his IEP meeting and when K. tried desperately to figure out the ethnicity of the new girl as he questioned, "Is you a mix?" I remembered all the notes intercepted, the girl drama, the boys who punched each other in the face. Yet, in the midst of the confusion and theatrics, there was some genuine enlightenment going on. I think. 

But the question asked me to recall my adolescence, and everything (even being bullied by C. from two doors down) seemed lame compared to the topsy turvy adolescence I lived as a teacher. So, I said, "I learned how to play the flute as an adolescent. And I joined the band." Weak. Nerdy. And so not filled with the angst and attitude that's to be expected...

But, I'm really excited for this semester. I'm taking my first ever graduate level Education class. I don't know anybody yet, but that's okay because the professor brought in chart paper and taped it around the room. We wrote on it with brightly colored markers that smelled like bubblegum and jolly ranchers. The only thing missing (and really bringing it home to TFA) was a "gallery walk"- but the chart paper and markers made me feel like I was back in education, back around people who want education at the forefront of their careers. And we're going to really dig in to the theory and psychology of adolescence, which I have decided will be great fuel for my writing.  

The experts will prove me wrong, but I'm convinced we twenty-somethings are a part of some sort of extended-adolescence. Sure, the growth spurts have stopped, the braces have been removed and the acne has calmed down. But the awkward identity formation, the confusion, the flux between angst and apathy and plain silliness...


...seems too familiar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that extended adolescence moves well into the 30s. Maybe human being who attempts to affect any sort of great change is in an adolescent state of some sort - angst ridden, dissatisfied with the status quo, not always certain how to articulate feelings.

Liberty said...

You are adorable! Great posts.